cupcakes

Icing On The Cupcake

Wednesday, January 27, 2016




Some days are just eat-a-spoonful-of-icing kinda days.  I don't think there's any other way to describe them, although there seem to be a lot of negative words we use to classify how our days are goin.  Long.  Boring.  Exhausting.  Awful.  Crappy.  Cloudy.  SO MUCH TIRED I CAN'T EVEN DESCRIBE MY MISERABLE DAY.  #lazyday #yuckkk

We gripe, we moan, we complain, we sit through classes and go to work and get up early to curl our hair so we can look like we've got life figured out, like we're in control of SOMETHING.

One look at the 3/4ths of the way devoured icing container, however, and I think we start to realize that we're really just a bunch of bluffers.  Don't get me wrong; I'm all for icing being part of my daily diet just as much as the next girl!  But what do we hope to find at the bottom of that container?  Fulfillment?  Peace from our stressful days?  A full stomach at least? 

Maybe we think it'll help us forget that our day really didn't go well.  Maybe we can ignore the things that are REALLY important.  I like that small flare of rebellion I get when I use the carton instead of a bowl as my weapon of choice.  Don't you feel like a TV character when you do? 


We were born in a state of enmity between us and God, but hallelujah for the cross!  We don't ever have to be like again!  And yet sometimes I still put that distance between Him and I.  I do it for so many reasons.  I'm worried He'll convict me on something I don't want to hear, or that I won't have enough time to really spend with Him (and where am I getting this standard for "the right amount of time", anyways?). 

Jesus is so patient with me, and I don't know why.  It's a mystery that I'll spend the rest of my years on this earth trying to figure out. 


Wednesday night, 9:37 p.m.

When I'm all in a funk and I know I've sinned and the Holy Spirit is prompting and pushing me like crazy- I need to be with You.

Two minutes have passed now.
*blink*

I'm still with you.  You're still here, in my room, with me.  Doing what, I don't know.  Listening?  Waiting? Thinking?  All of the above, maybe?  You already know how I messed up today, but I need to tell you anyways.  Today had many precious opportunities with you that I ignored and was too self-focused to see.  I get so caught up in doing and going and checkmarks and lists, looking like I have it all together and loving that feeling of being in control.

It's exhausting.

Jesus, I can't seem to see any progress in this race.  I know I'm running, but today it feels like it turned into a valiant effort to crawl.....


I wonder if you ever feel like you're crawling? Because sista, I can so relate.  And as my sweet friend reminded me this morning, Jesus is both the coach telling us to keep going and the one right beside us, running (or walking. or crawling.) this race with us. 

"...and from Jesus' fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.  For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ." John 1:16-17

And this same grace and truth is coming to us ALL DAY EVERY DAY.  No matter how long your day is, Monday or Thursday or Sunday, no matter how many scoops of icing you eat or tears you cry, God's love for you and His steadfast character don't change. 

He ain't leaving, honey.  Dry those tears and chin up!!  The earth is full of the steadfast love of the Lord.  Step outside and take some for yourself, and then give it all away along with some nice frosted cupcakes.

-Chloe

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. loveeeee <3 Your writing is so lovely and encouraging, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is always what I need to hear dear friend! So glad you're back to posting:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I've been meaning to read this post for a few days and finally sat down to read blogs! CHLOE, YOU ARE SHINING THE LIGHT OF GRACE WITH SUCH AUTHENTICITY THAT I WANT TO SKIP AROUND AND EAT ICING!!!! Okay, I turned the caps lock off. But this post reminded me of the presence and enoughness of Christ even during the spoonful of chocolate ganache days (because that's what's sitting in my fringe right now). I feel that God is pulling me into this all-encompassing relationship, the knowledge of the fullness of Christ. All this year, He's reminded me of His presence and filled me with a strange sort of joy in life. This post drilled that in even more!

    Keep your eyes of Jesus and don't forget about this little blog! Can't wait to hear from you again!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Person commenting! Yes, you. Wanna know something?

You're kinda awesome.