lessons

Life Lessons From Volleyball

Friday, November 14, 2014

A journal entry from October 28th, our last game of the season:
I grew in quite a few friendships, was humbled a gazillion times, made many memories, ate my weight in junk food, laughed until I was doubled over, and learned so many lessons on insecurity, envy, comparison, contentment, rejoicing with those who rejoice, and on and on and on.  Wow. God is good....


LIFE LESSONS FROM VOLLEYBALL

There's always going to be someone better then you
Whatever you decid
e to do, whatever you want to be, the inevitable fact of life is that somewhere in the world someone else is going to be a better athletic boxing, sci-fi writing, Swedish yodeling, kung fu fighting, clementine peeling, WHATEVER better then you!  And that, to me, is a relief. 



Rejoice with those who rejoice.  Ugh.  Is it just me or is it often easier to weep with those who weep??  It's so hard when someone is doing well and you aren't, and yet to encourage and compliment them and have it be genuine.  SO HARD.  To me, that's one of the most courageous acts in life. 
Smile and move on!  Another courageous act is this one.  Courage takes strength, and it's so much easier to not resist those feelings of pity and degrading self thoughts.  Resisting takes strength, and courage takes strength, and moving on take strength.  Even smiling when that's the polar opposite of what you want to do takes strength.  It's at those times that you have to really let God be your rock and your source of strength.


At the end of the day, it's just a sport.  We can hype it up to so much more when really, most of won't touch another volleyball after high school (unless of course for a pick up game.  Pickup games of volleyball are always acceptable).  Perspective is everything!
God really does answer prayers, no matter how small!  They'll probably be a slightly different answer then you were thinking, though:)  Examples would be a good practice when I was expecting a horrific one, strength to keep playing even when I was about to drop from exhaustion, the ability to love teammates when they were being less then loveable, etc.



It can only get better from here!  The first spring practice scared the heck out of me, I'll have you know, but it definitely DEFINITELY got better and so much more fun:)
Playing time and your position on the team are privileges, not rights.  Translation: Good things in life are privileges, not rights.
 
 
 
 
 
Okay and then just for kicks and giggles, not exactly life lessons but still good things to keep in mind that I also learned from volleyball!!!
 
 
Iced Oatmeal Raisin Luna Bars are the way to go every time when you need a Luna Bar.
Put your hair in a side pony tale and straighten the individual pieces.  Then pull it into a high, perky, STRAIGHT pony tale.
I can be ready to go in less then 5 minutes.
Always carry band-aids, extra hair things, and a book with you wherever you go. 
Almonds and chocolate chips are a super great snack when you need energy.
 


 
I just can't wait for next season:)
-Chloe

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Definitely gonna try that hair straightening idea out :)
    Volleyball is the bomb. To me it's basically the best sport, but I do agree that is is super hard to genuinely congratulate someone after you fail at hitting the ball a few times. And yeah, there will always be someone better than me, but, well, I'll just smile and do my best :D

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Person commenting! Yes, you. Wanna know something?

You're kinda awesome.