faith

Where Does Your Happiness Lie?

Saturday, December 20, 2014

1 Timothy 6:3-11 is a passage that I've never looked at in great detail.

Somehow it's easier to study about nice things like God's love or heaven then false teachers and true contentment.  Huh.

In this passage, Paul is warning Timothy about the people who teach a different gospel than Jesus, otherwise known as false teachers.  These false teachers believe that if they act in a godly way they will then get something out of it (godliness is a means of gain).  

Paul responds by agreeing that godliness is a means of gain, as long as you have an ample dose of contentment to go along with it.

Contentment is key here!! 

He reminds us that not only did we bring nothing into this world, but we also won't take anything out of it.



Story time: That verse always makes me think of the time when I was little and was attached at the hip to my adorable purple bear, Violet.  No doubt about it, she was the bestest stuffed bear on the block.  I loved her so much that I was determined that I would live and die with her.  I also made detailed plans so that she could be buried with me and thus, obviously go to heaven with me!  Woe was the day when my mom explained that this wouldn't exactly work.  I was heartbroken, to say the least.

At that time I would not have agreed with the verse following, 'if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content'.  My version would have read more like, 'if we have food and clothing and Violet, with these we will be content.'

was such a heathen, you guys.  0_o

Paul goes on to declare that we are to flee from the temptations of the world (such as money).  
Instead, what are we to run to?  
Righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, and gentleness. 

The false teachers were trying to find their happiness in things like money, and -get this- even in practicing Christianity! After all, they did think they could get something out of it.  Paul admonishes them by declaring that that's not the point!!

 We are to find true happiness by practicing godliness and love! 


So how do we, as sinful humans, combat finding our happiness in earthly things and instead have true contentment? 

  1. Recognize where we struggle.  One night I sat down and wrote a list of all the things that I look to for worth, acceptance, and joy, that aren't Jesus Christ.  The list was long, and included many things like my phone, other's opinions, and how I look. It opened my eyes to how much I struggled with this.
  2. Become aware of that thought process.  What thoughts go through your mind when you aren't being content?  Some examples: "If I get this I will be happy", "If I look like that I will be happy", "If this person will only affirm me I will never complain again", etc.  It's scary how much these thought patterns circle through our minds every day.
  3. Do something about itChange the way you live so that it isn't centered around stuff and self.  Some ideas would be to pray for a specific non-believer whenever you start having discontent thoughts, give your money when you feel the Holy Spirit prompting, and so on.   We've got to just get off our butts and go for it!  We have to change the way we live.   Our God is a big God who specializes in doing the hard stuff!  He throws fire balls from heaven, crushes armies, and stops the sun from setting.  And that's all just in one chapter.  God is handing you the gift of true happiness: His Son.  Will you take it?


 

Where does you happiness lie?
 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I'm happy to say my happiness lies in Jesus Christ only. Good post, Chloe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's the best answer there is;) thanks Autumn <3

      Delete

Hey! Person commenting! Yes, you. Wanna know something?

You're kinda awesome.