the writing life

"More".

Monday, December 09, 2013


I see you.

You know who you are.

Or you say you do.

You smile.

At least you pretend to.

I’ve seen you cry.

I’ve watched as you slowly die.

Is this life?

Locked up in fear.

Chained by doubt.

Held captive by lies.

For you are more.

I know you are more.

I have to believe you are more.

 

When you look in the mirror

I know what you say

Ugly

Worthless

It’s just been a bad day

But that’s just it

Because this is your life

You say it’s enough.

But when will you see?

You are more.

 


“How are you?”

Three simple words.

You smile and say,

“I’m fine, how are you?”

I know it’s not true.

You know it too.

But you paste on the smile

Force out the laughter

Say the right thing

But is it real?

 

When will you see?

His heart aches.

When will you hear?

His voice pleads.

When will you realize

That you are so much more?

More than the lies

More than the doubt

More than the fear

He tells you everyday

He whispers it in your ear

You.

Are.

More.

 

I ask it again.

"How are you?"

Your smile wavers.

“I’m-fine.”

But you say it

With sorrow in your voice

Tears in your eyes

Then I hug you
 

And whisper in your ear

“No.  You are not fine.

You are more.”
 
-Chloe Salts

 
 

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I like it CHloe! I think you got the feeling exactly! I just love these kind of poems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Aves:) It's pretty much dramatic, you're right.... But I like it too. :D

      Delete
  2. Hi, I found your blog on Pinterest and I was just looking through it. Thank you for this! It was seriously exactly what I needed. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness you just made my week. Thank you for your sweet encouragement!!! <3 <3

      Delete

Hey! Person commenting! Yes, you. Wanna know something?

You're kinda awesome.